Eligible for the process naturalization
In the fifteenth century, Portuguese Sephardic Jews were banished from Spain and Portugal.
Today, the government of Portugal has passed laws that makes it possible for them to acquire citizenship by naturalization.
The Organic Law No. 1/2013 of 29 July guarantees the approval of the measure while DL n. 30-A/2015 of 27 February approves the Regulation.
There are certain requirements to be met under the Regulation. They are:
- Applicants are Sephardic Jews of Portuguese descent and are adult or emancipated under the Portuguese law;
- Not have been convicted, pursuant final judgement of sentence, for committing a crime punishable with a maximum prison sentence equal to or exceeding three years, under Portuguese law.
For the Portuguese Sephardic Jews to be granted Portuguese nationality, the following details are required to be stated clearly in the application.
- The family name (surname),
- The family language,
- Direct descendants under the genealogical lineage of the Sephardic Jews
Other documents that should be attached to the application are:
- Certificate of birth registration,
- Certificate of criminal records from the country of nationality, country of residence and proficient Portuguese authorities,
- A certificate of the Jewish community (but with religious-related position in Portugal) which must prove applicant a Portuguese originated Sephardic Jew using the family name (surname), genealogy, family language and family history.
On the certificate, there are some information that must be contained. They are:
- Full name;
- Residence of the applicant;
- A detailed description of applicant genealogical lineage leading to the Portuguese Sephardic Jews;
- Proof backing up the above description.
Applicants can also present some other kinds of evidence if this kind of certificate is not available. These are;
- Jewish community issued document (or certificate) verifying the applicant meets the necessary requirements to put in for Portuguese nationality
- Documents that prove applicant’s genealogical descent down to the Sephardic Jews directly or by family relationship. Property deeds, records of synagogues, residence permits are few of the documents that can be presented.
- Documents that prove applicant’s genealogical descent down to the Portuguese Sephardic Jews directly or by family relationship. Property deeds, records of synagogues, residence permits are few of the documents that can be presented.
The Portuguese authorities can seek the recommendations of the Portuguese Jewish communities if the validity of the documents and the contents are doubted.
Customers who need the attention of the Consul are advised to contact the consulate quickly to be able to secure a booking for the available date and time. Also, every information about the steps to be taken and the projected costs will be provided.